Open House

2017 Annual Fall Open House

Saturday, October 14th 2017

10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

The Waterloo Region Model Railway Club (WRMRC) is a 2000 square foot, HO-scale (1:87) miniature recreation of the Canadian Pacific Railway’s Sudbury Division, as it appeared and operated during the 1970s. The layout features include:

  • a multi-level (mushroom) design over 2 floors with tracks interconnected by helices
  • track arrangements of the modelled towns are duplicated closely to the prototype locations
  • locomotives and rolling stock match real equipment that operated in northern Ontario during the ’70s
  • long freight trains rolling smoothly over handlaid trackage powered by NCE Digital Command Control
  • a large layout in mid-construction, allowing visitors to view progress and see how it’s all done

The club is located in a quonset hut, approximately 1 kilometre north of the village limits at 1589 Maryhill Road (Woolwich Township Road #56). Watch for our signs into Maryhill, and at the main intersection in town.

View simple map

Admission

Adults: $5.00

Seniors and Students: $3.00

Children: Free (must be supervised by an adult)

For more information: send us an e-mail


We are also open for the Kitchener Doubleheaders Layout Tour

The next tour will be held on Saturday March 24, 2018

For information on the Doubleheaders tour visit www.doubleheaders.org or send an email to dhtour [at] gmail.com

Recent Posts

Old Soldiers

CP_8448

CP # 8448 leads the Espanola Turn through Nairn Ont. in the summer of 1973. In reality; this is a Van Hobbies brass model rebuilt with a Kato RS-3 drive. It is equipped with an ESU LokSound decoder with a 12-cylinder 244 diesel sound file.

Years after most other major North American railways purged their rosters of 244-powered ALCO diesels, CP Rail continued to employ a good-sized fleet of them throughout the ‘70s. Mainly due to chronic motive power shortages, and maybe a little by their corporate desire to milk locomotives for every mile they could to ensure their return on investment; the CPR would continue to operate 244-powered units until 1982.

In this light we find a pair of old soldiers in charge of the Espanola Turn on the CP Webbwood Sub, continuing to battle friction and gravity in defiance of the scrapper’s torch.

CP #8448, built by MLW in 1954, is noteworthy for being the second-last RS-3 to wear maroon and gray paint. She would eventually receive a new coat of Action Red in 1975, only to be retired the following year due to a major mechanical failure.

RS-10 #8464 fared a little better. Rolling out of MLW later the same year as sister #8448, she would persevere to the end of the decade. It should be noted that regardless of the differences in exterior appearance, the RS-10 is mechanically the same as an RS-3.

The model 244-diesel prime mover may have been plagued with reliability issues and earned a notorious reputation as a maintenance hog, but they endure at the time-warp known at the WRMRC – CP Sudbury Division layout. Here the 1970s never ended, and the burbling sounds of 244 diesels continue to echo throughout the Sudbury Basin.

  1. Napanee Industries CP Flatcars Leave a reply
  2. Got Slag? 1 Reply
  3. 2016-2017 Operating Session Times and Dates Leave a reply
  4. That ’70s Rent-A-Wreck Fleet Leave a reply
  5. CSI (Canadian Switcher Investigation): Sudbury – Episode 7091 1 Reply
  6. Welcome Leave a reply